Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Meeting Isaac





Wow. WHAT A DAY!

It all started last Friday when I became aware of a baby boy born July 15 (born at 24 weeks gestation) who needed a family. I called the agency (in Ohio) and talked with a social worker who shared the details about the baby and his birth family. I said we were interested and would send the necessary paperwork to be presented to his birthmom. On Monday afternoon I got the call that we were getting a baby boy! The rest of the day was a whirlwind! Packing, phone calls, more phone calls and planning for our trip to Ohio to meet Isaac. A friend from church offered to come with me to help out with Hannah for a couple of days until Jason can get here on Thursday.

Born at 24 weeks gestation, Isaac is doing very well. I can't even begin to use the medical terminology I heard this evening...I can say he is doing as well as can be expected given his extremely early date of arrival. He is 1 pound 8 ounces and is 13 inches long. His head is a little larger than a tangerine and his pinky finger is about the thickness of a toothpick. Medically, he has about a 50% chance of surviving. We're trusting God on this one.

Until tonight, he had never been out of his isolette and had never been held.

Isaac will be in Ohio for at least 2 more weeks. So, Hannah and I have transplanted ourselves until he can come home. Jason will come Thursday-Sunday and then we'll need others to come and help with Hannah...any takers?! After he is cleared to travel to Grand Rapids, he will be in the NICU there for another 2-3 months.

Surprisingly (and you'd understand surprisingly if you've ever been to Canton, OH) there are virtually zero hotel rooms available in the area. We managed to get a room at the most expensive place in town ($150/night). They are giving us a reduced rate and have booked us to the 1st of August. After that, we have to find somewhere else to stay from August 2-5. Food is scarce around here, too. They have a McDonalds. That's it. At least that we've seen. And if you're a 2 year old, you could eat "nuggets" all day long, but not me. I can handle a burger every few days and that's about it. We ate at the hospital tonight. Enough said.

I am glad to be here. I haven't even begun to wrap my mind around what is happening, but I'm thrilled that God has brought us to this moment.








10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany - We're both so excited for you as this newest chapter in your lives is opening! Let us know what you need.

1 Peter 2:20 "...But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God."

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, Jason and Hannah....Wow! What a new and awesome adventure for all of you! You will all be in my prayers, along with Isaac. Remember, God doesn't give you more than you can handle. You definitely are a special family and Isaac is blessed to have been brought to you. Believe that there are many people praying and behind you. I will watch this page to keep updated!

Anonymous said...

That happened FAST! Is there anything you need that I could pick up for you and send with Jason? Praying for you!

Nancy said...

Congratulations! You must be so excited. Isaac is a very lucky little boy. God has blessed you both with the gift of eachother...
Love,
Aunt Nancy

Anonymous said...

Dear Evans Family,
CONGRATS!!!!! I have been praying for you guys and that God's will would be done in sending you the child that you are supposed to have. I am soo happy for you guys!!!!! I wish you all the best in the next few weeks as they may be tough! You are in many peoples prayers! /Lindsay

Anonymous said...

Such wonderful news and beautiful pictures! Thank you for sharing with us. Jason, if there is anything you need let me know. May the Good Lord continue to bless each of you and keep you in His grace. Kathy H

Anonymous said...

may the Lord bless you guys and the new born isaac. we are praying for you and asking God to give you strenght, patients and the ability to give it all up to him.
God is great and will give us all just as he see's fit. we are very happy for you and will be keeping you all in our prayers.

chris and monica rainer

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness- he is so small. What a blessing. We will be praying for little Isaac to be a fighter. We will also be praying for you, Jason and Hannah as you adjust to your new life together!
josh, shelly and kids

Anonymous said...

Jason & Tiffany,

Wow. Way to be an advocate for Isaac and stand in the gap for him! We are prayerful & excited for you!

You are some of my heroes!

Love,

Andy Lehman and the Life International team

Anonymous said...

Hi Neighbor! I just can home for the day and I was so excited to see your email! Congratulations! We can't wait to meet your beautiful new family member! Please let us know if you need anything!
Heather