Sunday, November 11, 2007






Sorry for the long delay, my friends. When Jason is here, it's difficult to sit down and do this. It's also difficult to do my Bible study and memorize my verses and everything else I should be doing. It's like that at home, too. I always seem to get less done when Jason's home/around. It's like I get lazy or something. Why is that?!

Isaac: they took him off the vent yesterday afternoon and he's doing a great job on his 1 liter cannula at 28% oxygen. His belly is a little bigger this evening and after worrying for a couple hours we found out he just needs to pass gas! Praise the Lord, Gram! He has been a little testy the last two days--more than normal, so he's been getting a little bit of morphine--just in case it's pain from his surgery. It sounds like they might start him on a little bit of Pedialite some time later this week. If that goes well, he may begin eating a tiny bit next week. It will be a slow process but hopefully we're done with all the problems, now. Only time will tell.

We've been keeping a little secret for awhile but we need to begin to ask for prayer for God's perfect timing. Our insurance company has requested Isaac be transferred to the hospital back home. When we asked who was paying--they said they were. So, along with the doctors here, we need to decide when it's the best time to safely transfer Isaac to Grand Rapids. Please pray that God would make it very clear to his care team what is in his best interests and that Jason and I would have a peace about the right timing, as well. My guess is that he will still be hospitalized until late December/early January, but for us to be home, first, and get settled back in before he comes home would be nice.

I'd also like to begin to put out there that we're looking for a "Grand Rapids Grandma and Grandpa." We love our parents VERY MUCH, but none of them live in the Grand Rapids area and they all have situations that do not allow them to be as involved as they would like or as we will need. We're looking for people who would be able to spend time with Hannah while I take Isaac to appointments (there will be a lot of them) and who want to be a part of our lives. Who would take her to Meijer Gardens or have her over for lunch. I'm not looking for a babysitter, I'm looking for someone who wants to be involved in our lives on a (probably) weekly basis. This might sound weird to be asking for online, but I've been thinking about this for a long time. Just like I knew our "Ohio Grandma" would come along at just the right time, these people will, too.

No dinner tonight at the house so we used a giftcard and went to Applebee's. During dessert (which we all shared together with three spoons), Hannah said, "Why we so happy?" I almost cried, but didn't and said, "Because we're spending time together as a family and we like that--it makes us happy." And then I said, "Why are you so happy?" And she said, "Because of my daddy." It was a moment of complete joy.

***************

In Matthew chapter 5, Jesus gives the Sermon on the Mount as an example of how a Christian should live. This is something I'm striving for.

Matthew 5:3-12

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will seek God.
Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who where before you.

*************

Many blessings to you all.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

He looks so good!!! It seems as if you are finally turning several corners and getting closer to home. I pray that a Grand Rapids Grandma & Grandpa find their way to you - two more people to be blessed by your family.

Anonymous said...

Praising God for so many miracles! Off the vent 24 hours after surgery - what a little fighter! I'm praying that Isaac will wake in his own bed at home Christmas morning and he'll spend his first Christmas at home with his loving (and happy :)) family!!

Hummel Family said...

Good to hear that he is now off the vent! I know how BIG of a deal that one is. Now his lungs can take a breather!

I could sense a smile on your face as you typed this entry! So good to know you are all doing well.

Anonymous said...

Who are you and where did you get such faith from? Oh yes, from our God. You are showing amazing faith and such an encouragment to me and lots of others too. Even though we don't talk often enough, I miss you and can't wait to have you back in GR and have a Beaner's together.
Shelly

Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Tiffany, I have few heros- but you are mine. Reading this entry was a joy for me. I can sense God doing some amazing things in you and the fam. I love you and miss you. Give Isaac and Hannah a kiss from me!

Jane said...

I wish I was in GR to be your grandma. I have friends that I do the same thing for here in SC....they have triplets, so mom NEEDS her time away for a couple of hours. Or to take one to the doctors etc. No money exchanged...I'm paid in hugs and smiles. I have been there with them since before they got pregnant, the trio are now 3.5 and have a new baby brother.

God will provide you with a grandma or Jane-Jane.

Also...I have a prayer request for you. My dad is in University Hospital there in Cleveland this week. He is having back surgery at 12:30 on Monday afternoon. Thank you my blog friend.

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

He looks so handsome and healthy. He's going to keep you on your toes, from now on, I can tell!
Pedialyte... poor baby. Just wait till he discovers HANNAH's food and HANNAH's drinks. Sister's things are always so much yummier.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
PTL all seems to be going good for "little bit" "buddy" so we can all breathe a little bit easier. Needless to say we have to "Thank Jesus" for His faithfulness in helping heal Isaac's body and He will continue to do so. Also Isaac will start eating very soon and be back in Michigan in the very near future.

Loads of Love, Gram and Papa "V"

Anonymous said...

Everyone here at the office is so glad to hear that Isaac is doing well. The pictures with Hannah and Isaac are precious - thank you for sharing them! I will continue to keep you all in my prayers.