Tuesday, July 31, 2007

One Week


It's officially been one week since we arrived in Ohio to meet Isaac. It feels like yesterday, it feels like a million years ago.

Unfortunately, I was unable to hold Isaac again today. Based on his breathing issues, one of his doctors suspected he may have something called PDA. I cut and pasted the description below:

Patent Ductus Arteriosus (www.kidshealth.org)
The ductus arteriosus is a short blood vessel that connects the main blood vessel supplying the lungs to the aorta, the main blood vessel that leaves the heart. Its function in the unborn baby is to allow blood to bypass the lungs, because oxygen for the blood comes from the mother and not from breathing air. In full-term babies, the ductus arteriosus closes shortly after birth, but it frequently stays open in premature babies. When this happens, excess blood flows into the lungs and can cause breathing difficulties and sometimes heart failure. Patent ductus arteriosus (PDA) is often treated with a medication called indomethacin, which is successful in closing the ductus arteriosus in more than 80% of infants requiring this medication. However, if indomethacin therapy fails, then surgery may be required to close the ductus.


He in fact, does have it. The doctor explained that they would do one course of meds (3 days) and then another echocardiogram. If it is not fixed, they will do another course of meds (another 3 days) and do a final echo. If it is still not fixed, we move on to surgery. From what I've found online, it sounds like this one of the more common surgeries for a child born this early. No less scary, but good to know. So, that's where we are with little, tiny, baby Isaac. Jason and I keep telling each other we just don't want him to die. The staff are optimistic, but also tell us his status could change very quickly. This is all very much hour by hour.

A friend sent us a giftcard to Quizzno's so Hannah and I walked there for lunch. We also went to the McKinley Monument where Hannah and I climbed 50 steps and then played in a nearby park. It was sooo hot!

We stopped by the hospital on our way home from dinner for about 45 minutes. We read some books in Isaac's room and walked around the NICU talking about the babies and visiting with the nurses. She feel asleep fairly quickly tonight.

I have a journal of favorite Bible verses that I brought with me for encouragement. The verse that is speaking to me the most right now is Colossians 3:23. "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." I keep thinking about how I will hurt if Isaac doesn't pull through this. My greatest fear is that he will die. Part of me wants to run away to avoid the pain. But that would be "working" for man, so to speak. Moriah, our second child, is no longer in our care. But I still pray for her--and will always--that's working for the Lord. Whether Isaac pulls through or not is not the question. It's whether Jason and I follow through with God's calling for us in his life, right now. I cannot make sense of the things we've experienced or will experience. But I'm not supposed to. God calls on us and expects us to give our all, regardless of the outcome. I look forward to the day that He says to me, "Well done, good and faithful servant, well done."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can hardly read this for the tears that are flowing. I ache for you and wish I could reach out and hold you to help ease your pain. We all pray for the best for baby Isaac, but even if his time on this earth is brief, at least because of you he has felt love while here. Hang in there; hold onto that faith.

Anonymous said...

One more day Baby! I can't wait to see all of you. Tiifany, I am very proud of you for sacrificing like you have for the sake of our kids. You are a wonderful Mom and a great wife.

I love you all,
Jason

Anonymous said...

"For the mountains shall depart, and the hills be removed;but my kindness shall not depart from thee,neither shall the covenant of my peace be removed, saith the Lord that hath mercy on me." Isaiah 54:10. Love Mom

Anonymous said...

My friends and I claim in Jesus' name our baby Isaac will be healed. Love Mom,Jennifer and Sherry.

Anonymous said...

Jason, As an add-on to your post, I am proud of you also for sacrificing for the sake of your children. You are a wonderful Father and a great husband to my daughter. Love Mom.

Anonymous said...

I heard a song recently by Third Day entitled Tunnel. It talks about how a light is always at the tunnel. Whether the end of the tunnel is the completion of another challenge here on earth or the grand prize, Heaven, God always provides the light for us. Even though I have never met you Tiffany, I admire your strength and willingness to let God control your path. From personal experience, I know how difficult that can sometimes be. The little that I know Jason, I can tell that he is a terrific husband and father - what an awesome family you have! Keep strong and never forget that God won't give us more than we can handle. I will continue to pray for Isaac and you all.

Laurie