Thursday, August 9, 2007

God is ALWAYS one step ahead...



I spent a few hours at the hospital with Isaac this morning while Hannah was in "school." I forgot to mention it, but I helped change Isaac's diaper yesterday for the first time. I got to help today, too. I also got to hold his feeding tube while it drained into his stomach. I never thought I'd look forward to doing such tasks. I think the staff can tell I'm starting to wear down and are trying to include me as much as they can. It's been very nice. While Isaac is stable, he is not doing well. He had his fourth blood transfusion today. The nurse said his body is focused on the pneumonia and is not creating enough red blood cells. It's very difficult to explain to everyone that even though he is currently stable, he is very critical. This is very much an hour by hour process. We are waiting out the weekend to see if he is "well" enough for all of us to leave for a few days. One positive, as of late this afternoon, he was tolerating his feedings and they were going to increase them from 2cc's to 3cc's every three hours (like 1/3 of a teaspoon or something crazy like that).

Some of you have asked if our adoption is completed, yet. Actually, it has not even begun. We have a young woman living with us and she, too, has to be fingerprinted as part of our adoption process. She will arrive in Ohio tomorrow to get that done. So, our adoption process will begin when all of our paperwork can be sent out to be approved. We have to have approval from Ohio and Michigan to take him across state lines. Once that has been established, we will have temporary custody of him (right now he is in the custody of the agency in Ohio). His adoption will (hopefully) be finalized about 6 months after we have temporary custody. We will be returning to Ohio to finalize his adoption. As of now, (and probably for the next 2-3 weeks) we have absolutely no legal tie to Isaac whatsoever. Interesting, huh?

I got a call from the hotel today letting us know a gift basket had been dropped off for us. Hannah and I had been planning on visiting anyway, so it worked out great. We visited for awhile and then left with our basket from Malone College. We had dinner at Denny's while waiting for the tornado warning to clear and then visited Isaac before heading home (home in Ohio). Hannah had a bath so she's nice and clean for Daddy's arrival tomorrow and then off to bed (I think she fell asleep singing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star). I'm cleaning up our messy room and decide to open the gift basket. T-shirt, hat, huge blanket....cool stuff. They also sent a daily devotional. Each devotion is written by an alumnus. Cool, I thought. I figured it would be neat to read the devotions everyday so I turn to today...

**************************

Psalm 9:10
Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.

Letting Go
I've thought of "trust" as the superhero of stressful scenarios when my trust in God comes to rescue me from whatever jam I'm in. But the other day I realized if my trust in God is active only when I'm in an unusual situation I can't control, than I rarely trust at all.

It's easy to call out for help when I don't have any other recourse, but it's difficult to say "I surrender all. your will be done." Instead, I argue: What if God doesn't come through? What if He takes my life where I don't want to go? Instead of surrendering, I cling to pieces of myself hoping to cash them in if God doesn't hold up his end. But God doesn't work like that. With Him, it's all or nothing.

I'm reminded of when God promised Abraham, who was childless, that he would father a great nation. Then when God finally gave him his son, Isaac, He told Abraham to kill Isaac as a sacrifice. Instead of saying, "Okay God. I usually trust you, but this time you've gone too far," Abraham went ahead, took his son, and built the alter. He was willing to lay down the one thing that fulfilled God's promise to him, knowing that God could be trusted.

I want that kind of trust.

I so often trust God only with the worst areas of my life, when I should trust Him with the best as well. Just as Abraham laid down Isaac on the altar, God wants us to trust Him enough to let go, knowing that He won't.

*********************************

And, that's exactly what we're called to do everyday. With our spouses and children, jobs and decisions. Give it up. Let go. Take the leap. If there is something God has been laying on your heart recently, or maybe for a very long time, NOW is the time. It might be scary, it might be very painful. It might be the faith you've heard about but never experienced for yourself. JUST DO IT. And you'll experience a life you never thought was possible.

Blessings to each of you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tiffany,

I just have to say you do such a great job at keeping up your blog. I have enjoyed reading it every night. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Overall I know this hard but I know if any body can pull through this is you and Jason. Look at the end if every thing goes well you will have a brand new baby son. Lots of love
Elizabeth

Hummel Family said...

Thanks Tiffany. This is what I needed to hear. I've really been stressing out over Maylee's upcoming surgery on the 24th! I know I need to TRUST completely and to let go of these NERVES! It seems so hard, but if we think about it, its the easiset thing we can do!

Anonymous said...

Here it is 4:48 am and I was laying in bed thinking about all of you so I decided to come in here and check on what is going on. Needless to say as you so aptly put it we have to trust that God is in control of this whole situation and we just have to give Him time to do his part. Life is not easy and there is going to be these ups and downs as we all know. Rely on the 91st Psalm as much as you can. We think about you all often during the day and of course send up brief prayers.
Lots of Love, Gram and Papa

Anonymous said...

Tiffany:

Kevin and I would love to come help out with the yard work at your house. We will plan to cut the grass every week (starting this weekend). I am amazed by your strength and appreciate you keeping this on-line journal.

Kevin & Kristie Corcoran

Ohio_Momto3boys said...

Malone is awesome. I have an MAEd from there and we're trying to encourage (ok, NAGGING INCESSANTLY) my niece to attend there. It's a nice environment.

Ohio laws are tricky. Do you have an attorney here? If not, call Cheryl Kirkbride in Orrville. She's done all three of our adoptions and she's very detail-oriented. You can google her, email me for her phone or check out www.orrvillelaw.com. She also works with a Tim VanSickle who is quite good, too.

Are you working with A Child's Waiting? My husband and I are giving a presentation tomorrow for preadoption training.

Enjoy those moments with baby Isaac. We spent several weeks in Mich. with our first baby before ICPC cleared. Now it seems like a weird memory. Our problem was with Michigan's ICPC. Overnight Express mailings took 2-3 business days from Detroit to Lansing but once they got all the papers, it was easy.

Do you have a case worker here? If your agency doesn't have one, there are several we can recommend. Ours is in Alliance, OH, just east of Canton. Also, we have the phone number to the ICPC office. My husband got it from a Utah website when we were in TN in October for Boy #3. Ohio's current ICPC approval rate is about 5-12 days. Finger prints, if electronically scanned, take about a week but it's pretty efficient so it won't take too long. Just don't forget to fill in the little guys' birthdate... I guess that's a blank lots of people miss.

When you return to finalize him, it will take all of 10 minutes in court. Easy. the waiting is the icky part. We go 9/17 to finalize Boy #3.

I'm sure Isaac feels all the love you have for him. Babies never cease to amaze me at how smart they are at such an early age.

Hang in there
Katie in Dalton
eteacher99@Yahoo.com

christie said...

I was moved by your comments on letting go and trusting. I have experienced the loss of a child and the most comforting book I read was one called "Laying my Isaac down." It on the topic you read tonight and would have special meaning to you and your special boy. Your family is in my prayers. Peace and hope to you!
Christie in Florida :)

Anonymous said...

Giving up and letting go is one of the hardest things we ever attempt to do in our walk, mainly because we keep taking it back. I hope that Jason is there and Hannah is asleep and Isaac is at rest. I will look for your post later this evening. (It is Friday p.m.) I love you all. I know that the paperwork is not done and for those that have asked me also, it is not yet a final adoption,but Isaac is and always will be my grandson. Sleep tight kids and grandbabies! Love Mom (Nana)

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, Hello - I am a fellow adoptive mom living here in Stark County. Our daughter will be three this fall. I was sent a link to your blog from the bioh website. I am so proud of you and know that you are giving adoptive parents a wonderful name for people outside looking in. Please kow that we are thinking of you through out the days.. sjney@sssnet.com