Friday, September 21, 2007

Dinner for 50 and more...

We got a call today from the adoption agency in Ohio that Isaac will be losing his Medicaid in about a week. This is very bad. We are in the process of adding him to our insurance but he will be out of network in Ohio. There is a huge possibility we are going to start to incur medical expenses we thought would be covered by Medicaid. We're going to start the process of applying for Medicaid in Ohio and also in Michigan (so he has it here when he comes home). There are a lot of kinks to work out and a ton of red tape that I really don't have the time or energy for while caring for two children. Not to mention the fact that our cell phone bills have been outrageous since this all began and this new problem will only add to that cost. Please pray that this insurance problem will work out and that we will not incur his medical expenses. We've been told that a micro-preemie will incur their lifetime limit in medical expenses in about 3 months. Then what? I have no idea. There is another family at the Ronald McDonald House dealing with the same problem.

Yes! Our dinner on Wednesday night. I completely forgot. Thank you for reminding me. It was wonderful. I think people liked it because it was different. No pasta, no chicken. I made a Sausage Gumbo with rice and a Michigan Cherry Salad. It was a challenge to prepare for so many people...some of the other ladies of the house helped out...it was a fun time. Several families are from Central and South America and have been here for months and no one has ever made rice. They were pleased to have a staple from their diet presented that evening. I think it's interesting how we (myself included) offer to make someone a meal and we oftentimes make the easiest, cheapest recipe we can find. Don't get me wrong, anytime we help someone in need it's a good thing. But I know I sometimes choose the easiest route. Wouldn't it be great if we volunteered to make someone a meal and we brought them over a nice steak and some homemade mashed potatoes with fresh green beans? Something that we had to make an extra trip to the grocery store for. Another hit were the Oreos, Chips Ahoy and Pecan Sandies. I usually buy the cheap brands but decided to buy the "real thing." The Oreos were gone before anything else. It felt good to make others happy. It was a lot of work but sooo worth it. We've all become a kind of family away from family. Sharing our stories and prayer requests. One little boy has been seen by top-notch doctors in three other countries and is here for one last hope at surgery. If he cannot be treated, he will die in the next 1-2 years. He's 3 years old and he has a little brother who is 1 who is still in Ecuador and has not seen his mom in 4 months. She is not allowed to bring her 1 year old to America because the government fears she is just trying to move her family here. Most people have very sad stories. It was an honor to serve them dinner. Truly.

We're in Mackinaw City and waiting in our room for Hannah to fall asleep. I think we're going to go play cards with the fam in a little while. We had a nice dinner together but it was noticeable that Nancy was not there. It's very strange that one minute a person is here and one minute they're gone. There really are no second chances. I miss talking to Nancy about baking questions and gardening. I miss calling and telling her Hannah's latest news. If she were alive, I know she would be playing in integral role in helping us with our current situation. She always put us, first. She was very proud of all of us and what we'd accomplished. There is a whole in all of our hearts because Nancy is gone.

Isaac is doing well and is advancing on his feedings--he's up to 21ml. Keep praying because God is answering!

Enjoy your Saturday evening.

9 comments:

Amy Noel said...

Hey Tiffany, Jason, and Hannah, Hope your time up in Mackinac is meaningful. We're thinking about all of you and the rest of Jason's family, too, as you remember Nancy this weekend. Bryan's sister is up there right now on the island working on a film--so look for her! We'll pray for your issue with insurance, and for Isaac's continued health. We love you! (And by the way, it's Friday--not Saturday--night! :) That made me smile because I've felt like it's been Saturday for the past 2 days, too, since we've had Bryan's family here and he hasn't been working normal hours!) So take care, and when you have a chance, call me about Mrs. Ford. I have her address and some news(good)for you.

Anonymous said...

Good morning,
I am glad to hear that the dinner was a hit. Just being with others is a help to keep your mind off of other things going on.
We will pray that the insurance thing gets worked out. I thought he would at least be covered until he was legally adopted and if I understand it that won't be until March sometime.
I am glad to hear Isaac is tolerating his feedings. PTL. Hi to Jason's family.
Back to bed for a couple of hours.
Love ya, Gram

Anonymous said...

Hi, can you come cook for us. Haha. I would be doing these people a favor by NOT cooking. I am terrible at it...except deviled eggs. I burn cereal.
I know from my experience with Michigan medicaid (my 2 oldest are on it because they aren't adopted yet) that once you are approved they can go back 3 months worth of hospital bills. I said a good long special prayer about it. Now I expect the same from you. I am pregnant!! I'm trying not to get too excited because I have miscarried before and I am very early on but please pray this one will hang in there and pray for my health as I could really have a hard time. -Sherry

Jane said...

Rest while up there! Sounds like the dinner was the perfect serving that all needed. I'm praying regarding the insurance issues... I pray that when my husband's time is to go to heaven, that he will be joining me. Cause I LOOSE MY MIND when dealing with insurance companies.

enjoy your time with your family.

Crissie said...

Hang in there Tiffany!! glad you found a way to serve. praying for God to show you guys where to go for this insurance stuff. it can be so annoying!!! you are doing a great job at being flexible and doing the stuff you NEED to do!!

crissie

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

seems we all had a very busy weekend. I am happy that the people liked your food. But then again...you CAN cook. So yeah...i am happy to hear more about Isaac. You'll see...before long he'll be home and keep you up with his screaming. ^.^

Love, Maxi

Anonymous said...

This is gram again, I am praying that Sherry has a normal pregnacy there are so many of "us" out there that are praying and we can all add our prayers for her. I know from all of the different blogs that there are so many out there that need our prayers. We have to cover all of them and pray that the Lord will Bless each and every one of them. That also holds true with the women that is at the Ronald McDonald House that do not have anyone praying for them and their families. Lets just cover "all" of them with the Lords Blessing. Let that little 3 year old get the help he needs and he will LIVE and NOT die according to the WORD. Jesus is LORD and he has all of this in HIS hands. AS we all pray for Isaac we will pray for the rest of them.

Christ's Love and ours, Gram and Papa.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany, I love your grandma! :) -Sherry

Evergreen Covenant Admin said...

hi tiffany,
i am assuming Isaac was under 3 pounds? my kids (i had quads in jan 2004) were all under 3 pounds, so they qualified for a certain kind of medicaid, not because of low income, but because of their health situation. It is called Children's Special Health. See if you can find out about that.
Also, our social worker at the hospital had us apply for SSI. The gov't considers premature infants "disabled" for the 1st year (then they will re-evaluate), and they will help supplement some of your medical/personal needs for Isaac.
Email me, if you have any questions. kfoisy@gmail.com